This week on the Everyone Funding Startups podcast we spoke to Brad Feld, one of the managing directors at Foundry Group, a venture capital firm that invests in early stage software / Internet companies throughout the United States. He is also the co-founder of TechStars, a mentor-driven accelerator, author of several books and blogs, and a marathon runner.
Brad’s latest book, Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City, describes his experiences in supporting the emergence of now one of the world’s most renowned entrepreneurial ecosystems – Boulder, Colorado – over the last 15 years.
We asked Brad about the central framework in his book, the ‘Boulder Thesis’, which gives four guiding principles for building a successful entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- 01:05 What prompted you to write ‘Startup Communities: Building An Entrepreneurial Ecosystem In Your Community’?
- 01:40 Whom do you have in mind as someone who will read this and immediately go out and do something?
- 02:10 What is the ‘Boulder Thesis’?
- 03:00 To what extent can startup ecosystems be planned?
- 04:10 Are there any prerequisites for starting an entrepreneurial ecosystems?
- 05:50 What does it mean for an entrepreneur to take a leadership role in a startup community?
- 07:35 Can ‘feeder networks’ also stifle an ecosystem? How should an entrepreneur react in that situation?
- 08:40 Does it make sense for ecosystems to be across geographies as well as local?
- 10:15 How should we measure the success of entrepreneurial ecosystems?
- 11:15 How should ‘feeder networks’ think about measuring their contributions?
- 12:00 What part do you think crowdfunding will play in supporting ecosystems?
- 13:25 What are the other books coming up in the Startup Revolution series?
- 15:15 How can people find out more?
- 16:42 End
Startup Communities is part of the Startup Revolution series, which also has a blog at www.StartupRev.com. The next book, Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur is available for pre-order now. The following books will cover Startup Boards, Startup Metrics, and the Startup CEO. You can follow the blog on Twitter @startuprev and you can also follow Brad Feld @bfeld.
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of Everyone Funding Startups. Check out our new podcast page at EveryoneFundingStartups.com.
Learn More About Grow VC Group Companies
Join Our Team
We are always looking for talented, entrepreneurial and driven doers to join our growing global group of companies in various positions and locations around the world. If you think you have what it takes, apply now!
This entry was posted on Friday, November 16th, 2012 at 4:34 pm and is filed under Entrepreneur Inspiration, Startup Podcast. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.